Goals for this project are:
- Utilize rain gardens to capture and treat on-site runoff.
- Utilize constructed wetlands to capture pollutants from off-site runoff.
- Restore stream by lowering floodplain and banks to reduce sediment from bank erosion and increase stormwater detention/retention capacity.
- Install wetlands in new, lower floodplain to retain runoff and treat pollutants.
- Install organic (carbon) filter/aquifer in stream bed to treat pollutants in stream baseflow (nutrients, especially nitrogen)
- Use 10,000 gallon underground infiltration chamber system to recharge groundwater from relatively clean roof runoff.
- Water quality monitoring and data collection will assist teachers, students and researchers to determine BMP effectiveness and treatment efficiency.